new schools, new parishes
As part of its growing mission, in 1922 St. James Parish dedicated a brick school and convent on Park Street behind the Main Street church. Three decades later, in order to meet the needs of the growing Catholic community in town, Archbishop Henry J. O'Brien authorized the construction of a new church building on Adams St. in Manchester. The Church of the Assumption was dedicated in 1954, and then made into its own parish in 1955.
In 1958, as the Catholic population of the town kept growing, an additional new parish--St. Bartholomew--was created from the territories of St. Bridget and St. James. In 1961, Assumption School opened its doors. And the full church, school, and convent at St. Bartholomew were officially dedicated in 1962. By 1970, however, St. Bart's school was closed, the former classrooms converted to offices and religious education spaces.